Sunday, March 30, 2014

White Balsamic Apple Vinaigrette


I've always enjoyed a good salad, but ever since I became gluten-free about 4 months ago, I've taken my salad game to a whole new level.

Which is probably for the best, since we signed the Mini up for a "parent & me" swim class and I've had to squeeze my doughy, ghost-white body into a bathing suit two months earlier that I usually would.

It doesn't help that my partner in crime looks adorable in her bathing suit.


Ah the things we do for our children.

In any event, I am a creature of habit and when I find something I like, I stick to it.  For example, I have spent countless lunches at Panera Bread with my coworkers over the years, and have only sampled probably 4 different menu items.

Even before I went GF, one of my main go-to meals has been their Fuji Apple Chicken Salad. A-mazing.  I don't know who decided apple chips would be a good topping for salad, but I would like to thank this person for changing my life.

However, I am not much into Gorgonzola cheese, so I always ask to substitute with Feta cheese.  I also prefer almonds to pecans when I make it at home.  So it's totally up you what you put this on, but my recommendation for a salad base is as follows:

-mixed greens/baby lettuce
-grilled chicken strips
-tomatoes
-slivered almonds (or pecans)
-crumbled feta cheese (or Gorgonzola)
-red onion
-crispy apple chips (you can find my recipe here, or use store-bought)



Either way, you can't go wrong.

White Balsamic Apple Vinaigrette
  • 2 T. canola oil
  • 1 T. olive oil
  • 1/2 C. apple juice (I recommend using a "natural" apple juice)
  • 3 T. white balsamic vinegar
  • 2 T. apple cider vinegar
  • 1 t. lemon juice 
  • 1 t. sugar
  • 2 t. honey
  • 1/4 t. salt
  • 1/8 t. pepper
  • 1/4 t. garlic powder
  • 1/4 t. xanthan gum (optional - it just makes the dressing a little thicker)
Whisk all ingredients together, or process in a blender to emulsify.  Makes about one cup of dressing.  Any leftovers can be refrigerated for up to a week.

Original Recipe

1 comment:

I love reading your comments!

If you have a question or problem you can also feel free to email me at vittlesandbits@gmail.com. Thanks for visiting :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...